Saturday, January 4, 2014

"You Are Grounded!"- - What? I am a grandmother?

Yesterday was an awesome day for me.  My father called when he was on chapter ten of Outcast.  Its significance was two fold.  First, it is my daddy!  That needs no explanation.  Secondly and more significant for me, he doesn't like fantasy.  I sat with the phone and my heart was in my throat. The fear he was so displeased that he did not plan to finish it was palpable.

He went on to tell me how proud he was of me and how well written it was.  He shared how he found believable the scenes and characters.  His favorite thing was how the activities of the dragons, even their mating, was blended into the story in a way he found enjoyable.   He shared all the things he suspected were going to happen.  He prides himself on being able to predict the end of books and movies. I just smiled.

When we hung up the phone, I was elated.  It motivated me and I got chapter one of the second book in the Blue Dragon's Geas series pounded out.   But that is not the end of the story...

At 9:30 PM, I get another call from my parents.  My parents don't call twice in one day so with a bit of alarm I picked up to make sure no one was sick or hurt.  My mother was on the line and she shared that my father had just came into the room and threw my book in her lap.  His words. "Your daughter is grounded." Now I am 4_,  Okay I am old!  I asked her to put my dad on the line. Here is how that conversation went.

"Hi Dad.  Mom says you threw the book at her and said I was grounded? What is wrong?"

"It didn't end like I expected.  Hell, it is just beginning!"

"I don't understand then, why am I grounded?"  I was a bit confused.

"Because if you are home and grounded, maybe you will get that damn second book done."

This will be my most cherished conversation with my dad for a very long time to come.  Don't worry Dad, I set the goal to have  The Blackgaurd on the shelf by June.

No comments:

Post a Comment