Thursday, January 23, 2014

My Magic Exists! You Will Not Convince Me It Does Not!

“Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.” ― Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

People may say there is no such thing as magic, but I disagree.  There is magic in art of all forms.  A theater that takes you away to another time and for a short time you suspend reality.  A piece of music that transports you to a memory.  A book that is written well enough to take you to another place and time.

When I write, I do not see words on the page.  I see Alador struggling with a magic he doesn't quite comprehend.  I see the teenager who wants to believe that the world is a kind and wondrous place.  I see emotions play out and wreak havoc when good sense should have prevailed.  This is magic!  My magic comes when I can cast that spell for another. When I can take them to my world and they can see, feel and hear what I cast for them, that is magic.  You may call it what you will, but I know it exists.  I know that the world they see will be unique for them.  A spell all their own!

Science is man's effort to explain what is not understood.  Before science dissected how a seed became the tree, it was magic.  But there is much in this world that science has yet to explain.  Added to this, how is a seed far less magical knowing the components of its spell?  How does it differ from the sound and murmur of a mage's sleep spell?  One could work to discover the components at play.  The sand, the words, the movements that draw the target into sleep can be dissected.  

Our world is a magical place.  Books bring to life worlds that only the reader can see.  Let us never become so focused on science and reality that we lose the magic and wonder of the world we live in and the stories we read and write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment