Thursday, December 4, 2014

Bloodmines - Update!

To those of you that write, you will know what I mean when I say that this novel took on a life of its own.  It is turning out to be much longer than I wanted, and yet I and the editor agree that what I have written needs to remain.  I guess that just means the series will be a bit longer than the four books I had originally mapped out.

I posted in October that I was taking input from readers on what they would like to see in the next book. I am pleased to say that some of the readers will be getting free copies of this novel as I did incorporate some of the requests and ideas.  I may still incorporate more of them in the next novel.
I have loved my reader interactions through email, Twitter, Goodreads and here.  It makes writing so much more fun to have the feedback, even the negative feedback.

As many of you now know, I had quit my job to write full-time.  Excited by the huge sales, great feedback and reader interaction; I gave my notice at work.  But things did not go as planned and so I had to back-step.  A diagnosis of cancer led to almost immediate surgery, followed by some unforeseen complications.

 I am my own publicist and so I lost momentum and sales, despite good reviews, began to drop.  I was unable to put Bloodmines out when I had originally planned as I lost almost six weeks to just being very ill.  I do not share this for sympathy.   I am six doses into chemo.  I have continued to write despite days were the cold cramps ones hands into claws.  (A strange side effect of the chemo I am on)  Today, I finished Bloodmines.  I am proud to have written this novel in the face of severe sickness, travel, and many telling me to just give up and deal with cancer only.  I also achieved the 50k goal for NaNoWriMo2014.  A goal I was determined to make.

I think that giving in and being "sick" is the worst thing I could have done.  It would have been easy to lay in bed doing nothing and watching T.V. or sleeping.  Don't get me wrong, there have been many days in bed, but with my laptop and hand warming.  I want to beat cancer as badly as Alador wants to complete his geas.

Book 3 is now in edit! It is written.  When the editors get done with their red pens, we will proof and release!

Some things to expect in book 3 without giving too much away:
Dragons in person - not in dreams!
Better explanation of the Geas Stone as requested by readers
Magic

Anything more would give to much away. I hate spoilers.

I love you all! You make each day at my computer a joy.
Cheri



No comments:

Post a Comment