Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Salvation's Review




SalvationSalvation by A.M.C.


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My editor challenged me to read something outside my favored genre and when looking abut, Salvation seemed to fit the bill. It definitely was outside my normal reading list. However, some things are universal across genres even between Science Fiction and Fantasy.

A.M.C takes on some typical conflicts within the pages. Man against himself - very well done as men struggle to overcome their own fears, anger and personal agendas for a great good. Man against man - Men are placed in the same confines on a single mission that in a normal day's work would never co-exist. The typical conflicts of such a tight and sudden enmeshment were well written. Man against nature - Boy nature packed quite the punch. And of course, man against extra-terrestrial. I loved watching these interweave as the story played out.

The only thing I found disturbing or distracting about this novel is that all the conversations was in italics. I could only read short periods of time due to the cognitive dissonance this created though it got better as I made my way through the novel.

I also found it interesting that there were few women. Man is in trouble if there aren't a few more women left on Earth. Where were the women marines?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment