Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Dragon Bait - Now Hiring!

“Master Johnston?”

“Yes, Skip?”


“I was wondering if maybe we might review my employment situation.”


“What? Now? Lad, this isn’t the time.”


“Er, I’m sorry, sir. But I believe this is exactly the time. And, I apologize, but I don’t intend to move until I’ve had my say.”


“Fine. Fine. Be on with it then.”


“Well, Master Johnston, you know how we’re here to kill this dragon, sir?”


“Yes. That’s our job. Dragon hunters. It says so on your bloomin’ jacket, lad!”


“Well, sir, technically you and the other boys are the hunters.”


“You’re an important part, Skip. Without you, the dragon won’t never come!”


“I believe you mean ‘will never come,’ sir. And, well, this is about my part. I realize it’s important for you to have someone to draw the dragon.”


“You can’t catch nothing without bait.”


“‘Can’t catch anything,’ sir. And that is as you’ve said. However, I can’t help noticing one factor about my role in the hunt. I am, as you said, bait.”


“Yes?”


“And it seems to me that eventually, if you put bait out often enough . . .” 



― Brandon Sanderson, I Hate Dragons

No comments:

Post a Comment